Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cranberry Streusel Tart

Sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile... I've been swamped.  I accomplished cooking and baking for Thanksgiving while holding my little one that wasn't feeling well, so I didn't get any photos of the food on Thanksgiving Day. Bummer. 

I have a lot of baking going on this coming week so keep a look out for several new recipes! 

First up... Cranberry Streusel Tart!



I made this for the first time for Thanksgiving and everyone raved over it.  This recipe now has it's own little spot in my collection of keeper recipes.


Cranberry Streusel Tart
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1- 12 oz. pkg of fresh cranberries
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp. shortening
pie dough for a 10" tart pan- Pate Brisee



Roll out pastry and press into a 10" tart pan with a removable bottom.  Place in the refrigerator to rest while you prepare the filling.


Smash the cranberries in a large bowl with a potato masher just until about half or so of the berries are popped.  Stir in the white sugar and 1/4 cup flour.  Set aside.


In a separate bowl, stir together walnuts, brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour.  Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the nut mixture.  This mixture will be crumbly. 


Remove the tart shell from the refrigerator and pour cranberry mixture into the tart. 


Then top with the nut/brown sugar mixture.  Dot with very, very small pieces of shortening, maybe five pieces total.  Place tart pan on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done.  After 45 minutes, check the tart.  If there are any remaining sugary looking areas you can dot with a tad more shortening and place the tart back in the oven until those areas do not look sugary anymore. 


1 comment:

Hi there! Let me know what you think... I'd love to hear from you!