Thursday, April 28, 2011

A few more cakes...

I am upset I haven't had more time to blog but I guess that's life.  I have had a cake every week for the past few weeks and I've been BUSY!  Anyways, here are the last two cakes that I have done.

This is Pierson's 1st Birthday cake.  Pierson is my cousin's son... so he's my 2nd cousin???  I'm never good at that stuff.    The theme of his party was Mickey Mouse playhouse. 


For those cake lovers out there: the bottom tier was 10" vanilla butter cake with strawberry buttercream filling (insanely delicious), the middle tier was 8" chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling and the top tier (the playhouse) was vanilla pound cake made by using half of the Wilton ball pan.  The entire cake was covered with homemade marshmallow fondant and all decorations were fondant.  However, I did not make the figurines as my aunt thought I had... nope not that talented sorry. :)


And because I got the gene of going overboard on parties from my mother... I made cupcakes too.  Vanilla/Almond cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  The little toppers are Oreo cookies (tutorial to follow one day).


Then, I found these adorable cookies that I just had to make.  They are suppose to look like Mickey's shorts.  I found the template here.  I used regular sugar cookies (I will post the recipe soon) and covered the cookies with modeling chocolate.  This was super yummy and a LOT faster than the royal icing method.  I do still love the royal icing look but in a pinch... modeling chocolate is the way to go.  Just roll it out like dough...use the same cutter or template for the cookie and viola!  a covered cookie in chocolate no less.


And finally the dessert table....




Let me start off by saying I am completely aware these pictures are not the best.  I should have moved the cake however this cake was so heavy and we were on a time crunch.  So I apologize for the bad pictures... 

This cake was for a friend's son, Justin.  I did not make the wrestling ring nor the figurines... just the two tiered cake.  I was given a picture to replicate.


This cake was a monster... the bottom tier was 18" vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream filling and the top tier was 15" chocolate cake with strawberry buttercream filling.  This was by far the largest stacked cake I have done and boy was it heavy!

4 comments:

  1. That Mickey Mouse cake is incredible. I'm so amazed that the top tier actually stays on. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Mickey Mouse playhouse cake, really pretty and lovely play on colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lovely cakes! Very well done. :)
    Stumbled across your blog from another blog. Newest follower. :)
    Have a great day!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Let me know what you think... I'd love to hear from you!