Saturday, September 11, 2010

Three is NOT a crowd...


I just could not decide which flavor I wanted to bake.... so, I narrowed it down to three.  hee hee





Vanilla/Vanilla
Cinnamon Toast
Coffee & Donuts



I took the basic vanilla cupcake recipe I use... adapted from Chef Chloe's
Vegan Raspberry Tiramisu Cupcake Recipe.  On a side note, I've tried her Black Bean Sliders and they were amazing!!  Anyways, I changed little things for each cupcake... here ya go.

Basic Vanilla Cupcake
adapted from Chef Chloe
(makes 12 cupcakes)

1 3/4c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. almond milk, unsweetened
2 tbsp. Lorann Princess Cake & Cookie Bakery Emulsion
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place cupcake liners in pan.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & sugar.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, almond milk, emulsion & apple cider vinegar.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly and mix well.  Scoop batter into liners using an ice cream scoop.  Bake 10-15 minutes. (Mine baked about 20 minutes)
Let cool in pan a few minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.


Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
courtesy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (who I'm loving by the way)

1/2 c. nonhydrogenated shortening (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 c. nonhydrogenated margarine (again Earth Balance)
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. plain soy milk or soy creamer (I used vanilla soymilk)

Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy.  Add the sugar and beat for about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and soy milk, beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
Makes 4 cups


Cinnamon Toast Cupcake


 Cinnamon Toast Cupcake...

I followed the same vanilla cupcake recipe, however I substituted 2 tbsp. vanilla for the emulsion.

For the frosting: Vegan Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

I followed the above recipe for Fluffy Buttercream Frosting but added 3 1/2 tbsp. ground cinnamon. 

To assemble: after piping the frosting on the cupcake I dusted with a Cinnamon Sugar mixture.



Last but not least.... The Coffee & Donuts Cupcake.

I again used the vanilla cupcake recipe from above however I did substitute 2 tsp. vanilla for the emulsion.

I then dipped the cooled cupcakes into a "donut glaze".

Vegan Donut Glaze

1 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. soymilk (I used vanilla soymilk)
dash of vanilla
a little squirt of agave

Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and combined.

For the frosting I once again used the above vanilla buttercream frosting recipe...substitute 1/4 c. cold coffee for the 1/4 c. soymilk.  Next time I will try something diffferent... possibly a coffee extract or an espresso powder. This frosting did not have enough coffee flavor for my taste.


I received rave review from the family(these are non-vegans)... especially on the Vanilla/Vanilla Cupcakes (the hubs fave) and the Cinnamon Toast Cupcake.  Try them...you won't be disappointed!!!

1 comment:

  1. All 3 cupcakes sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing. :)

    xo Patty (Baking is Hot)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Let me know what you think... I'd love to hear from you!