Monday, September 13, 2010

When life gives you brown bananas....



















When life gives you brown bananas..... make Banana Bread!!!


We purchase bananas in our house and for some reason can never seem to get to the last few before they turn brown.... enter the stash of banana bread in my freezer.

Sometimes the banana bread is gobbled up almost directly out of the oven. Then there are times like today where we still have cupcakes around the house awaiting their hour long journey to my husband's office to be enjoyed by his co-workers.  On those days I simply let the loaves completely cool, place them in freezer bags, label and toss them in the freezer.  Here is my reasoning... A. I can not seem to throw brown bananas in the trash, I mean I paid for them and all  B. I could always use a quick easy snack or dessert just waiting for me to thaw it out and serve to my family or friends.  Banana bread is so versatile... from serving it with coffee to serving it with a yummy cream cheese frosting for dessert.  Just the facts ma'am.... I Love Banana Bread.

This recipe is vegan so my sweet little boy can enjoy it...but it is still very good I must say.

Vegan Banana Bread
makes 1 loaf

1 1/2c. unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. canola oil
1 c. brown sugar, packed
2 bananas, mashed
1/3 c. non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl, combine the canola oil and brown sugar.



















Add the bananas and milk and stir to combine.






































Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.




















Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 43 to 48 minutes, until bread is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in pan for 30 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge to loosen the bread and turn out onto a cooling rack.  Enjoy!

Need a quick dessert:  Take a loaf of banana bread fresh or thawed from your freezer and slice it in have long ways(like layers of a cake).  Then frost like a cake with cream cheese frosting! Viola!!  Dessert in a flash.

Here is my all time fave Cream Cheese Frosting recipe (everyone asks for the recipe).

Cream Cheese Frosting
courtesy of Martha Stewart

1- 8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth.  Gradually add in the butter while mixer is running.  Continue beating until very smooth.  Add powdered sugar slowly a half cup at a time.  Beat mixture until smooth.  Add the vanilla.  Makes 2 cups.

**Need a vegan version... just sub tofutti "cream cheese" and Earth Balance margarine for the cream cheese and butter... I've done this and nobody notices the difference!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Let me know what you think... I'd love to hear from you!